Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Music To Put Up Shelves To?

It's been hard to get anything done with today's, sticky, oppressive weather. All I wanted to do was hang around the flat being lazy, but something awoke inside me and I felt motivated. Yes! Must get some exercise. Got to get fit and stop eating ice cream.

I marched to the gym, working up a sweat before I even got there. This was more like it. After a good right arm work-out, trying to swipe my card through the entry system, I finally got in. I strode quickly into the cardio area, to be hit by a force far more oppressive than the weather. "10cc", "I'm not in Love."

This is surely the worst possible song to exercise to? You wouldn't listen to Death Metal during a massage? Or Hard House at a funeral? I don't expect to be frantically trying to keep fit to love songs.

The inadequacy of the music is only part of my problem. This in my opinion, is one of the most annoying songs ever written. Awful lyrics, horrible Eighties synth sounds. What is that stringy, breathy, pad sound all about? Is the drum rhythym supposed to be a heartbeat? Does somebody in the bridge whisper, "Big boys don't cry?"

I'm going to name and shame the radio station. Magic FM. On the rare occasion I've been forced to listen, often accompanied by the smell of the taxi driver's magic tree, this song has always reared it's ugly head. How often do they play this song? Do they only have 5 songs they repeat over and over?

The show was called "Mellow Hour" or something like that. Why would we want to be mellow at the gym?

You need something fast to workout to. I think it has to be, dance, pop or rock. Perhaps not jazz. You could have a nasty accident trying to run in 6/8 or 5/4.

The evening continued with some Freddie Jackson, Lionel Richie and James Blunt.

I might take my Ipod tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, be your own DJ for the day. I feel a heavy weekend of alcohol coming on and no music. Rant on.

11:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home