Wednesday, October 18, 2006

One Step Ahead

I was thinking about my time at school recently for no apparent reason, when I stumbled upon a very specific memory of little importance. I remembered my morning walks to school. I always walked. I wasn't, like many school children these days, driven around in a huge people carrier by a driver of questionable competence. I also remember on the rare occasion I was driven to school, that we didn't park the car right outside the school, or in the grounds, on the steps, or in the classroom. Some parents must get up really early in the morning seeking the prime dropping off spot, and possibly stay there, or in the vicinity, all day for the ultimate pick-up point. This gives me the idea of drive-through schooling. Some of these vehicles are the size of classrooms anyway.

My journey to school was probably about one mile, taking approximately fifteen minutes to walk. I regularly passed friends of mine stuck in traffic. I was always searching for better shortcuts without walking through peoples houses and climbing over garden fences. The weight of my bag accumulating as the years went by, was surely not good for my back. I was carrying half a filing cabinet around with me.
One morning I was heading in to school at a fairly casual pace, when I saw in the near distance the form of a rucksack being heaved along by a 15 year old boy. I soon closed in on him as he was walking fairly slowly.

I increased the pace a little ready to overtake. I sped up a little more, yet still the gap wasn't closing. If anything, it was getting larger. Before I knew it I had broken into a run and was still dropping further behind. He must be late, I thought, slowing down. I wasn't so keen to overtake if I had to apply so much effort. He was far enough in the distance now anyhow.

A couple of minutes later, and the gap was closing. Once more I attempted to pass but found myself running again. It was obvious now that this was some kind of a game. Not wanting to be beaten I ran as fast as I could, but still he eluded me. What was in that bag, helium?

How did he do it? How did he know it was me if he never looked over his shoulder to see where I was? The real question has to be, why? Why did he play this ridiculous game? I didn't even know who he was.

This was repeated on a few more occasions. He always had the upper hand. He could make the walk annoying enough for me to attempt and fail the overtake. If I didn't try, he'd walk uncomfortably slowly in front of me.

I got the feeling that this could have gone on for the rest of my school days, and I couldn't have that. The following week, I changed my route.

I never did find out who he was.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh

12:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure there wasn't a mirror attached to your forehead by a long pole and the boy wasn't walking backwards? If that were the case, you would have been dancing your way to school, Waltz like.

1:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home